Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Next BIG "Adventure"


As I promised here is my next BIG “adventure”.
Drum roll please … We are driving the Magruder Corridor Trail.
What is that? You ask. Well it is a wilderness road that goes between the Frank Church Wilderness of No Return and the Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness Area in Idaho. The road itself is a 101-mile primitive road that starts east of Elk City, Idaho, and drops you off south of Darby, Montana.
Information I have gathered from brochures of the trail online has shown the road as a single lane that has not changed much since the 1930s, when the road was constructed.

I had a coworker who completed the road and was telling me all about it.

I think my wife got sick of me talking about it, so she told me to plan it and go and do it.
So, I did what anybody in my position would have done, I contacted a few close friends, which just happen to be family and soon we were rolling. I sent out an email to many of my brother in laws and soon the adventure had begun.

So far we have nine adults who are planning on making the drive. Most of us are bringing our sons, so we will have something like 25 people on the trip, give or take. My two sons and I will load up our pickup sometime this summer, and drive the trail.
The overall hype has subsided and the task of planning, preparing and carrying out this expedition has hit me. I am excited, but am starting to feel the stress a bit. I have made many mental checklists of what needs to be completed before we can even head out on the quest.

I have been meticulously about writing down my checklist of gear to purchase and to gather, the upkeep of my pickup is being listed out over and over again. Once I feel like it is complete, I revise the lists to meet the current demands. So far in the time I have begun preparing for this trip, one thing seems to be at the center of it all, where is this money coming from?
I am trying to get funds together and continue preparing for the trip. It is absolutely exciting and so much fun.

Next week, I will give you an inside look at what is expected to the most major of modifications to my pickup, swapping out ball joints, control arms and front shocks. I will also replace a broken side view mirror.
This is probably the first of many things that are going to take place.

Until next time … 

No comments:

Post a Comment